lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 08:06:38 -0500

Boy, the lynx-dev gateway seems to be running quite a bit behind.  As subsequent
msgs revealed (well, I hope they all made it thru), the problem was that
the site in question was using the news: rather than the nntp url.  With that
format, lynx only was using the default NNTPSERVER, as it should if the site
in question would have been using standard usage of the URL.  The problem,
in my mind, is that lynx understood that

lynx news://site/group meant to use site as the NNTPSERVER to read articles,
but it didn't use site as the NNTPSERVER for newspost or newsreply.

Unfortunately, now that the site has changed to using nntp://site/newsgroup
URLs, lynx no longer provides the ability to post replys at all!  Is that
intentional?

>       I'm not sure what you mean by work.  Both will get the listing
>from genetics.upen.edu, though only the first is valid according to
>RFC1738.  However, Lynx will *post* messages only via the nntp server
>that's used by the software to which you defined INEWS, which should

I defined INEWS to be "inews -h".

> be the default nntp server to which you pointed NNTPSERVER.  Lynx
This I don't understand.  Why would one not use the same nntp server
used to retrieve the articles?  Set up this way, one has to exit lynx and
change NNTPSERVER for each newsgroup that one wants to read from another
server.  Instead, if one set NNTPSERVER from the URL, one could move
from newsgroup to newsgroup.  If a news: URL is chosen (without a server)
then one uses the original NNTPSERVER (which would need to be saved off).

> be looked at, or, if he's using the mini inews program, whether he
> defined everything for it properly before compiling it.

I defined everything I could figure out needed to be set here.

Since mini-inews depends on NNTPSERVER to be set by it's caller, it
depends on the kindness of strangers to set it right.  There's no way
for mini-inews to know that lynx grabbed the articles from a different
nntp server.

;