lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV: trace toggle: needs "dribble file", saved-output

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: trace toggle: needs "dribble file", saved-output
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:22:01 EST

 ] What would be nice would be if, when I entered trace mode (^T),
 ] lynx would ASK me if I wanted the output to go (also?) to
 ] a trace-output file.  Like in the current "p"-print page.
 ]
 ] It would keep this file open, appending to it, until I ^T
 ] toggled out of trace mode, when it would close that file.

All the trace info goes to stderr; if you're using a Bourne-like
shell, you can do this:

lynx -trace [somewhere] 2>trace-file

You'll notice that lynx runs slightly slower while it generates the trace
output.  Then you can exit and do what you want with the file.

This also works if you just do
lynx [somewhere] 2>trace-file

It'll start generating output in trace-file when you press ^T, and
stop when you press it again.

This won't work for the C shell unless you do some really tricky stuff.
I'd suggest that if you use csh or tcsh normally, you just start up
a subshell to do this; i.e.

% sh
$ lynx [somewhere] 2>trace-file
... do your thing ...