lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV This blind user needs help

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV This blind user needs help
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 23:02:42 -0500 (EST)

Duncan Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Laura Eaves wrote:
>
>> > http://www.triprod.com/euord.htm
>>
>> Redirection of POST content, P)roceed, see U)rl, use G)et, C)ancel
>
>Try using G)et.  The page that comes up is this though..not sure if its
>right:
>[...]

        This matter has been discussed at length numerous times on
the lynx-dev list.  As things presently stand, it seems doubtful
that anyone will ever again be able to find those explanations via
an Alta-Vista search of the lynx-dev archives, and it's unknown
whether anyone in the Lynx User Communitee will take the initiative
to set up a search service, and have the spare time to maintain it
in a competent and conscientious manner.  But that's not necessary
in this particular case.  The section on "HTML Forms" in the Users
Guide explains this, plus Subir some time ago used his spare time
to add an explanation at "Links links", including links to the
lynx-dev messages with the relevant sections of the HTTP specs
cited and explained.

        Yet, we again have nothing better here than simply exchanges
of misinformation, and more or less but not adequately correct guesses.
The net result:

Pierre Berube <address@hidden> wrote:
>I want to thank you all it appears that those who tested the ones that
>worked were versions 2.4.2, 2.5 and 2.7 .
>
>the version that was not working was 2.6
>
>So I have to tell my provider to get the newest update..
>
>Thank you all again and do not worry i did not process any of your orders.

Pierre Berube has gone off thinking this is a bug in v2.6 with no clue
that it is a bug/misuse of the HTTP/CGI protocols by the script which
handles that form, and thus no likelihood that the service will be
corrected.

        The exchange and perpetuation of ignorance and misinformation is
commonplace in usenet newsgroups.  Is it wrong to expect a higher standard
on lynx-dev?  I'm not trying to insult anyone, really, but a number of the
regulars on this list have "bugs" and would do well to try harder to
understand and correct those "bugs" in themselves.  Just a thought...

                                Fote