lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2-7 WWW_HOME as Bookmark not working

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2-7 WWW_HOME as Bookmark not working
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:39:36 -0500 (EST)

Doug Kaufman <address@hidden> wrote:
>The recognition of a bookmark file as the startfile, indicated by the
>Environment variable WWW_HOME is not working in the release version of
>2.7.  Similar to earlier development code, the Remove Links command
>doesn't do anything but repaint the page when invoked on the mainpage.
>If the same page is accessed by the 'v' command from another page, then
>the 'R' command works fine.  This wasn't a problem before multiple
>bookmarks were added to the code and bookmarks were required to be
>relative to $HOME, rather than absolute paths.
>
>The workaround for now seems evident (invoke lynx as lynx -book), but
>there are going to be a number of puzzled users calling when I replace
>2.6 with 2.7 as the default lynx version.  If the code can be modified
>to recognize that the startfile is really also the bookmark file, this
>would be easier on users.
>
>I am using the 2/15/97 release source code, compiled with gcc on a
>machine running SunOS 4.1.3_U1.  The following are the first few lines
>of the bookmark file that wasn't recognized as such when also the
>startfile (initial ">" not in the file).

        That looks like a bug in LYMainLoop.c.  It'll work as intended
only if the bookmark file(s) is(are) in a subdirectory off $HOME.
Unfortunately, I do have them in a BM subdirectory here and on Scott's
system, so it worked fine when I exercised the code, and the bug
persisted into the v2.7 released.  It's an ease fix that can be
recommended to anyone with even modest knowledge of C.

                                Fote