lynx-dev

Re: MVS FTP interface (Was: Re: LYNX-DEV Two bugs in Lynx)

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: MVS FTP interface (Was: Re: LYNX-DEV Two bugs in Lynx)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:09:36 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
> >I've just run a trace to the above address, and it appears one
> >problem is the use of slashes.
> >MVS has no concept of subdirectories (as we know them), and the
> >only "CWD" command that would apply would be to set the prefix.
>       You've shown a trace which confirms that, in the absence of
> adequately successful support for MVS ftp servers, setting it to
> "generic" will ensure a clean failure.

Yes, it does fail.  What do we need to do to make this work?
I apologize if this in the archives.  Here's some standard ftp
commands to that system:

/jes> ftp epaibm.rtpnc.epa.gov
Connected to epaibm.rtpnc.epa.gov.
220-#TCPFTP IBM MVS V3R1 at EPAIBM.RTPNC.EPA.GOV, 12:53:53 on 1997/02/20
220 Connection will close if idle for more than 15 minutes.
Name (epaibm.rtpnc.epa.gov:jspath): XXX
230 XXX is logged on.  Working directory is "XXXYYYY.".
ftp> cd PUBLIC.
250 "'XXXYYYY.PUBLIC.'" is working directory name prefix
ftp> cd 'PUBLIC.'
250 "'PUBLIC.'" is working directory name prefix
ftp> dir
200 Port request OK.
125 List started OK.
Volume Unit    Referred Ext Used Recfm Lrecl BlkSz Dsorg Dsname
OVH101 3390   1997/02/20  1   60  FB      80 23200  PO  MICSFILE.CLIST
OVH131 3390   1997/02/20  1    1  FB      80 23200  PO  MICSFILE.MSGS

My presumption is that Lynx needs to know:

*) what commands are proper for this type system

*) how to display the dataset names as possible links

*) how to tell text from binary

*) how to retrieve these files (e.g., file type, retrieval commands, etc.)

------

;
;