lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV warning: applets flying about[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV warning: applets flying about[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:14:33 -0500

> I suggest that we should stop discussing the active X non-security stuff any
> further in this group since it is off topic.  If someone likes to discuss

At least until someone proposes to add ActiveX support to the recently ported
Lynx 2.7/Windows version...

> Important for me are the following issues:
>
> 1. internalisation of menu/response messages (i'll probably
> be able to contribute here because we plan to use a lynx with a german ui
> in our institution)

Currently there is support for Japanese and English in most of the
output (all of it?), plus native support for displaying pages in various
languages.  By following the same steps as was followed for the two currently
supported languages, additional similar languages should be able to be
added.

> 2. some kind of java (kaffe?) support, maybe javascript too.

Um - the applet security issues will resurface at this point.

I wonder if it would be better to investigate a technology for embedding
safe languages in the page in an embedded generic object sense rather than
focusing on Java and Javascript, which are frequently less useful to the
lynx user because of the use for implementing features that are GUI in
nature.  I know that's not _always_ the case, but it is more frequently
the case.

Is there a reasonable way that something like a stand alone applet viewer
could be invoked (if defined) when lynx encounters a page containing Java
applets?

How far down this path do we trod - support for plugins?

> 3. some kind of table rendering, like in emacs w3.

I am not familar with what type of table rendering is done there.  Can you
describe it for us?

> 4. https support (i'd like to access https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/ with lynx)

It may already available for you.  Read over the info at
<URL:http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/patches.html> and see if it helps.

> 5. faster toggling between rendered html and source display --- why does
>    \ start a full reload and not a reload from lynx' local cache which should
>    be fully sufficient?

because lynx doesn't keep a local cache of the html.  Read over the hundreds
of answers to this question thru the lynx-dev archives.

Something I am wondering is whether there is a _simple_ way to provide
a search capablity to all the information that shows up when a user invokes
the Lynx help.  It would be so nice if I could get a form that allowed me
to type in a question on the lynx help page and get back relevant answers
_just_ from the lynx help files, source code, text files, etc.  and not the
entire world wide web.
;