lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Update patch for the v2.7 LYMainLoop.c

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Update patch for the v2.7 LYMainLoop.c
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:21:27 -0500 (EST)

Ismael Cordeiro <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>>      Patch for the February 15, 1997 Lynx v2.7 release to:
>>
>>      (1) Recognize a bookmark file used as the startfile, whether it
>> resides in the home directory or in a subdirectory off home.  The released
>> code failed if the file was in home, and not in a subdirectory (unless the
>> -book switch was used instead of a startfile entry or WWW_HOME variable).
>
>Unfortunately it didn't solve the main problem with the bookmarks, which is
>removing a link when the bookmarks file is also the startfile. I have my
>main bookmarks file defined as the startfile in userdefs.h, advanced
>multi-bookmarks selected and two bookmarks files. When I run lynx and try to
>remove a link from de main/startfile bookmarks file, lynx just redraws the
>screen and does nothing. To be able to remove a link I have to go to
>bookmarks B with the "v" command and to go the bookmarks A also using the
>"v" command. That behaviour started when multi-bookmarks was implemented.

        I do not have the problem you describe with the patched
LYMainLoop.c.  Note that the effort to determine whether the startfile
is a bookmark file not accessed by a bookmark file accessing command
depends on the TITLE having been left as that defined by BOOKMARK_TITLE,
and that the path begin with what is returned by Home_Dir(), which in
most cases is what is returned by getenv("HOME").  If there is a head
match for that string, the rest of the path must be in the multi-bookmark
file array (saved in the .lynxrc file).  If you have multi-bookmark
file support on, and the startfile was recognized as one of your defined
bookmark files, it's path and description will be included at the top of
the rendering.  If it's not being included, then the recognition procedure
failed.  Otherwise, everything associated with bookmark files should work,
and does when I try it with the patched code.

        No effort is made to identity a file accessed via markup, or
via a 'g'oto, as a bookmark file, and no file is treated as a bookmark
file unless it is presently listed in the bookmark file array (at
startup, and thereafter pending any modifications via the 'o'ptions
menu).  Having a TITLE corresponding to BOOKMARK_TITLE is not, itself,
sufficient, to have the file treated as a bookmark file, and the TITLE
is checked *only* for the startfile (followed by the path and bookmark
file array validation procedure).

                                Fote