lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6 Download problems

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6 Download problems
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:38:20 -0600 (CST)

On 24 Feb 1997, Sara Bradley wrote:

>     I am unable to download via Lynx to my local drive if I am using
> Rsh shell.  Everything looks as if it is working when I save to disk -
> no error messages, however, the downloaded file is no where to be
> found!
>     If I use any other shell (ksh) the download works fine.
>
>     Any clues as to what might be the problem with Rsh users and Lynx
> 2.6?

Rsh is a restricted version of sh intended to provide a little more
security on what programs are run, and how they are run.  I suggest you do
a man on rsh (The man page may be combined with that of sh.  I have to use
man sh-bourne on HP-UX) for details.  Is suspect the problem is in the
following excerpt from the rsh man page:

    If the command name contains a / the search path is not used (such
    commands are not executed by the restricted shell).

Lynx's behavior on downloads is to download it to a temporary file in /tmp
(something like L225301TMP.html), then upon selecting "Save to disk", it
cp's or mv's it to the new location.  The paths to cp and mv are explicit
in userdefs.h.  I've found that in rsh, even in a program is allowed (in
the proper paths), specifying it by the full path will not work.