lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV bg - fg = ok

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV bg - fg = ok
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 20:37:04 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Philip Webb wrote:

> 970226 David Combs wrote:
> > Also: control-z still stops (ends) a download-in-progress.
> >
> > Would be nice if while in "shell account" of isp (netcom.com)
> > and connect to some HUGE page (eg rfc tree), I could fg and bg
> > and continue mail-reading, or use trn newsreader, etc,
> > and then after 5 minutes or so, fg back into Lynx
> > and see if page is downloaded yet.
> >
> > Still no can do, as ^z evidently trapped and all current
> > ongoing "work" is stopped, ie as if I hit "z"-key during downloading.
> -- right on! me too!
>    this could be a great advantage for Lynx:
>    there are many slow servers & big files to fetch/download.
>    best would be a command  Fetch/Download_in_Background ,
>    which you would substitute for the usual  Right-arrow  when needed.
>
> -- can it be that difficult to fix up Lynx to allow background working?

Lynx is single-threaded out of the box.  My NSL_FORK patch only works on
machines with fork() calls, as would the ftp stuff (and I was asked why I
did not use clone() - which is not available on my Sun...).

You could always suspend lynx, then type

lynx -source ftp://ftp.wherever.com/pub/goodies/stuff.exe >stuff.exe &

and it should work fine :).

Seriously, lots of things *can* be added to Lynx, but it is a matter of
someone with the understanding and the time.

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;
;