lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 12:23:16 +0000 (GMT)

Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> > One goal that I'd like to see is a re-write of the parser.  There are
> [...]
> >    preparing the parser for it can't hurt.
>
> This is without a doubt the ultimate goal, but it's a tremendous undertaking.
> Isn't Rob's work nudging Lynx in that direction?

Not so much rewriting the parser - more hacking it to treat things like <p>
as containers sensibly.

I've basically got a big table with elements across the top and down the
left - what is allowed is contained at the intersection.  It's not very
smart, but it's better than treating things like <p> and <li> as SGML_EMPTY.

example: sgml[UL][LI]=allowed; /* allowed */
         sgml[LI][LI]=backtrack; /* close elements until allowed */
         sgml[LI][P]=allowed;

            ^^^^^            ^^^^^^^^^ inserted

basically just so that stylesheets work properly

(i've got a perl script as proof-of-concept if anyone wants it)
--
rob partington / address@hidden / address@hidden
;