lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV External filters (was: converting Pine addressbook to html)

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV External filters (was: converting Pine addressbook to html)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 15:20:11 +0900 (JST)

> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 06:25:34 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)" <address@hidden>

I tried your idea, Jim, for reading mail with a lynxcgi, but all I
got by pressing return on a link on the front end page was a flicker
on the screen.  (Flashes the WWW_WAIT_MESSAGE "Getting %s".)  Any
diagnosis?

> Okay, I've now learned how to use lynxcgi :-)  From some of the tasks

Guess I haven't :-(

> must have LYNXCGI_LINKS defined in userdefs.h.

Done.

> Here's a simple front end page for it:

> <head>
> <title>Read EMail Folders With Lynx CGI</title>
[...]
<li><a href="lynxcgi://home/kyoin/nelsonhe/.cgi/readmail.sh?test_m">
        Test (using babymail)</a>

Pretty much used your sample as is with modifications in the path for my
system.  It seems to be reading the script okay.  The file `test_m' does
exist in the directory defined in readmail.sh.  (I tested the script by
putting `sleep 5' in it, and I did indeed get a pause.  During the pause,
it says `Read xx bytes of data.')

> I used a shell script as the wrapper to be able to easily add the
> email folders I might have.  readmail.sh looks like this:

Again, I just changed the path names as necessary.  I confirmed that
from the unix prompt both `sonofbabymail.pl' and `readmail.sh' work,
i.e., they print to screen an html'ized version of the mbox or test
file.

Any help much appreciated.  TIA

__Henry
;