lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx service desk

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx service desk
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 17:44:19 -0500

> I tried your "nntp://genetics.upenn.edu/perl-porters.gw"; from
> netcom.com, and got a "421 no such news group" error back.

Yes, the server was out of commission for a while today.

>For those who don't read these massive and complex rfc's, please
>explain a bit (larry).

I don't understand your reference to massive and complex rfcs.
The above nntp URL is to an NNTP server, as I originally said.  This
was just an example of someone using an NNTP server to server up mailing
list articles.

> Also, what is all this about adding the final "/" in some
> lynx-situations?  It certainly makes no difference in
> this situation.

The / is defined as needing to be provided in certain URLs.  Some
servers are smart enough to look at one's request and say 'boy,
that's not what they wanted; I'll do a redirect to what they _really_
want.'
;