lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Users reporting problems with v2.6 and v2.7

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Users reporting problems with v2.6 and v2.7
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 14:00:58 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, George Kahler wrote:

> I have upgraded our lynx from version 2-4-2 to ver 2.6 on AIX 3.2.5.1
> and Solaris 2.5.1. User is now reporting a problem of seeing only the
> first line  of a page where under 2-4-2 the user had no problems. User
> is looking at www.mynet.net/~msanews/.
>
> I have installed the latest lynx version 2.7, again on both AIX and Solaris
> but the same problem happens. When viewed with lynx 2-4-2 on either of
> the two platforms there is no problem.

The problem is not with Lynx, but some bad comments on that page.
Comments should start with <!-- and end with -->.  This page has a line
similar to the following:

<!-- table><! tr><! td>

The first tag starts a comment, and technically it's never ended.
Netscape 1.x allowed comments like these.  Lynx 2.5 and up do have a mode
for dealing with such bad comments.  Use the ' key to change the mode to
historical comment parsing, and you can view the page.  Look at the online
help and the key list 'k' key for more info on Lynx's method's of comment
parsing, and send a complaint to the person producing such bad HTML. :)