lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx w/ (simple) ncurses colors

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx w/ (simple) ncurses colors
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 07:13:40 -0500 (EST)

> Here is a description of my experience with Tom's code for ncurses color,
> latest devel code on Linux.
>
> Did anybody get Tom's ncurses-color to work correctly with an
> ncurses version <= 1.9.9e?
>
> Well it didn't work for me with 1.9.9e on Linux, the different color
> combinations were displayed with the same background (the one from
> COLOR:0). [ncurses 1.9.9e is the latest version commonly available in
> Linux distributions.]
right.  (colors were completely broken when I started ~ 1.8.8, and "ok"
through 1.9.9e -- after which I and other people made fixes).  I think that
4.0 is almost exactly SVr4 compatible (there's one nit on my list that'll
wait till I'm past my current testing phase).

> So I got ncurses 4.0 from <URL: ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/dickey/ncurses/>
> plus all patches up to 970315, ready to compile ncurses for the first time
> ever.  I used (after going through README and INSTALL)
>
>   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-shared --without-normal \
>       --without-debug --with-rcs-ids
>
> (The first attempt had --with-gpm in addition to the above, but that gave
> some conflict with an older libgpm when compiling progs/dump_entry.c.)
there's a distributed version of libgpm that was hacked to support jed.
(the hack was unnecessary; jed works fine w/o that).  I've a patched version
on my ftp area.

> Everything went smooth, except for the nasty surprise that the header
> files in /usr/include got overwritten by `make install.libs' - I really
> wanted to keep the old version around!  (Everything else went under
> /usr/local, as expected.)
that's been the "default" behavior since 1.9.8a (I usually override it).

> However, popup form fileds don't work correctly.  They misbehave
> in the same way as when I compiled with ncurses1.9.9e:
>
> The first ENTER lets the popup briefly, well, pop up in a flash,
> then immediately disappear.  But pressing up- or down-arrow immediately
> after that makes the selection list visible (as if it was really there,
> just not shown.)  Moving the selection up and down within the list
> then works normally, except that lines are first gray-on-black,
> but black-on-gray after the selection (shown yellow-on-blue) has moved
> over them.  This is all with the default colors (COLOR lines commented
> out in lynx.cfg.)
If I can see what you're talking about I can (probably) fix it -- there's
a lot of #ifdef's for slang that should have been for a more general case
(though some will stay for slang-only, since they address its quirks).

Do you have a .html file that I can look at (to use as a test-case)?

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden