lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV DIRED-related bug fix

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV DIRED-related bug fix
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 17:10:04 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>>      Did the 1997-03-26 change in the HTStream structure for
>> src/HTFWriter.c eliminate the segmentation faults when downloading
>> on linux.  If not, there must still be some memory management glitch
>> for linux which needs to be found in v2.7.
>
>I cannot answer that since I had not been able to reproduce the reported
>bug on linux.  The original bug reporter should check whether that core
>dumping still occurs for him after applying that change.

        I though it was occurring consistently on linux, including with
the bugfixes prior to 1997-03-26.  Perhaps I misread or am misremembering
the original messages.

>The conditions for testing have somewhat changed since the link in
>which provoked the bug (The "Download" "button" on
><URL:http://www.ecsnet.com/html/21-p0298.html>) now returns
>application/x-patch instead of application/[x-]gzip.
>But it is not clear that application/[x-]gzip was necessary to induce the
>core dump.

        They are both unknown MIME types which would force a download
offer identically.

>I can still (after the change to application/x-patch) sometimes (not
>reliably) get the lynx27 binary on SOL to dump core.  The core dump occurs
>on quitting Lynx.  To reproduce it:
>1.   lyn27 http://www.ecsnet.com/html/21-p0298.html
>2.   select and activate "Download" link
>3.   answer 'd' in response to
>           "application/x-patch  D)ownload, or C)ancel"
>4.   return (PREV_DOC) from Download Options screen
>5.   select and activate "View It" link
>6.   return (PREV_DOC) again to the starting page
>7.   q)uit and confirm, --> "Fatal Error" message (sometimes)
>[...]

        That bug was fixed soon after the release:

1997-02-22
* Fixed a memory management glitch which could cause a crash if the
  MIME type of a reply to a FORM submission with METHOD=POST caused a
  download offer to be invoked. - FM

        Again, I though the segmentation fault was occurring on linux
despite that fix.  It will be vulnerable a crash for all flavors without
that fix.

                                Fote