lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV FTP URL with ;type=I

From: Duncan Hill
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV FTP URL with ;type=I
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 07:52:07 +0400 (GMT-4)

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Howard Kaikow wrote:

> >with it.  You might as well leave them as .doc and instruct them to
> >use the 'D'ownload key with lynx, shift-click or whatever-it-is with
> >other browsers etc.
>
> But leaving it as .doc and 'D'ownloading with lynx results in text/plain,
> that's the problem.

Interesting.  I just took a file that I know is binary, gzipped it,
renamed it to .doc, hit the D key via FTP, reversed the process, and its
intact as a binary file. Ie, Lynx accepted it (as application/msword no
less), and saved it.  So I think what Lynx displays may not always be
accurate.  How does Lynx do an FTP?  Just stream the data?  Or does it
perform conversions based on what it thinks the MIME type is?

Duncan Hill