lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: new Lynx SGML.c parser

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: new Lynx SGML.c parser
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 21:54:35 GMT

[Klaus Weide]
> That is basically what Fote's changes to the parsing since 2.7.1 do:
> in terms of your description, there is a class for highlighting, a
> class for FORMs, a class for the rest.

Yes, and it's a good solution for rendering the current state of the
Web.

> You mention tables, but what about the different stacks?  Is real
> SGML parsing a "limitiation for the stuff on the Web" there?

No, you just end up with slightly different error handling.  Our
problem was not with tables per se (DynaBase isn't a renderer, but a
collaborative authoring database); it was with half-baked assumptions
about SGML attribute defaulting.

> I still don't get where the "MIME type" part comes in.  (But maybe
> that's because I don't know anything about DOM?  You may want to
> spread soem more knowledge.)  But if this is about building a
> structure in memory, which would just used by one application
> (Lynx), what's wrong with pointers and linked lists etc. in C, what
> does it have to do with MIME (internal or not).

By internal MIME type, I'm referring to Lynx's "www/source" and
"www/present" objects.  I'm thinking of a new one, "xml/present".

Pointers and linked lists are not exclusive with DOM.  I was just
differentiating between our own off-the-cuff structure and one
compliant with DOM; a DOM interface would be better because tools
written to interface with DOM in MSIE or Netscape or Tango or Mosaic
would be usable (or at least portable) to Lynx.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA