lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV upgrade lynx_help files to html 3.2

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV upgrade lynx_help files to html 3.2
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 12:25:40 -0400 (EDT)

  From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>

        Your Subject: line and intentions are misleading.  If you want
  to go from the IETF's HTML 3.0 to the W3C's so-called HTML 3.2, then
  you are DOWNgrading the online 'h'elp, and there's no need for that,
  because it's intended for Lynx, which supports all of the real HTML
  3.0 markup, plus can be validated with its current, HTML 3.0 DOCTYPE
  declaration.

        Don't be one of the sheep!  Strive to be an eagle!

Some questions:

Is the IETF still fighting for what is in 3.0 or has the IETF
closed up shop w.r.t. HTML?

Whom do we consider to be the audience for the Lynx help files?
Should these meet "Any Browser" guidelines?

Do we want to keep Lynx our dirty little secret?
Where else do I have marketing literature that is as good as
the "Supported URLs" page?

People should not be required to download, unzip, and compile
just to learn how good Lynx is.  As I wander the halls of
Government to talk up the story that "Lynx is Alive and Well" I
would like the people I meet to be able to walk the Web of Lynx
support sites, starring the online Help files, with the
employer-furnished Netscape that is already on their desktop and
which they sorta know.

--
Al Gilman
;