lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV time for 2-7-2 ? (was numbered forms)

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV time for 2-7-2 ? (was numbered forms)
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 10:49:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Mob Psychologist wrote:
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SCO to use Lynx
> >>    > Meanwhile, though, do be sure to pick up the latest developmental
> >>    > versions from <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>.  Those versions
> >> have
> >>    Do note that there are more than one developmental version.  What
> >>    version you work against is, in my mind, a thorny question.  I would
> >>    not suggest that you try to develop against both.
> Definitely not.
> >>    Perhaps the best bet is to work against 2.7.1 , and then when you
> >>    have something to give back, just provide patches against that
> >>    version.
> This is probably the approach we will take.  We need to work with something
> that is fairly stable, and will just have to place a stake in the ground
> somewhere.  Sounds like 2.7.1 is a reasonable place to start unless there
> is another release expected soon?
> >>    However, the problem I foresee is that with all the changes going on
> >>    in parallel, it is going to make efforts to integreate the NLS changes
> >>    tougher.
> I was wondering how you manage to coordinate all these multiple development
> threads.  Who gets the joyous task of reunification for the next "official"
> release?

Sorry to quote so much, but I don't see that many versions being
developed.  There are three major areas under development (make that
4 if you include the parsing redesign):

- autoconfigure
- Win32
- character translation

"Teams" are working on each of these, and combining their work into
the "developmental" version of Lynx, available at:

 http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/

As of today, this might be known as Lynx 2-7-1, patch level 19,
since the archive is called:

 lynx2.7.1ac-0.19.tar.gz (or lynx2.7.1ac-0.19.zip)

Fote Macrides continues to make improvements to his code base,
and calls it his "personal" version.  It's available at:

 http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/patches/

Fote does not number his releases, so his archive is called:

 fotemods.zip

Klaus Weide has been the lead on the current version, and is
integrating the changes made by Fote into current as his
time permits.

The last official release, as you might call it, is Lynx2-7-1,
which is available at:

 http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/lynx2-7-1.zip

There are still a number of platforms to be tested under autoconfigure
before I'd consider "current" to be a full release candidate.  Since I've
been working with Tom Dickey on autoconfigure, I volunteered to help on
national language support. Different platforms will surely have different
NLS mechanisms, so it seemed logical to fit this with configure.  Wedging
it in before we declare current to be lynx2-7-2 is not too likely...

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Why stop now just when I'm hating it?

;