lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 01:28:07 +0200

Philip Webb wrote:

> i'ld say your "All about Dave" page is a waste of most people's time:
> why put it there?  anyway, it's certainly a bit eccentric (brief smile).

Why not? It doesn't show up unless you follow a link and if you choose
to follow you'll get what you've asked for. I can't know if the natal
chart has any meaning to you, but that's true for any text only page,
because I can't know if you understand the language.

If I put a link from a page in English to the page in Croatian, I'll put
a warning in the English page. If I put a link to the page which I consider
inappropriate for text browsers, I'll either provide text only alternative
or make the link invisible, depending on content of the page in question.

You can argue that you might like to see the graphics in external viewer,
but that isn't as simple as it might seem. "Hairy graphics" pages are
usually not made of only one image and you'll need browser capable of
inlining graphics to see the intended effect. Instead of describing
what I mean, I've put an example on
<URL:http://jagor.srce.hr/~dave/test/h.html>

If you have time to waste, view it with some graphics beast that understands
IMG ALIGN=LEFT. There's no point in providing each image separately to
Lynx user. There isn't any textual content there, BTW. It's just a quick
sketch.

My point is that I, as an author who knows what the pages contain, can
know if it's suitable for text only browser. The browser (or it's user)
cannot know.

I sometimes do the same thing for Lynx only. Some pages I wrote contained
links to ASCII animations, which were made invisible to graphical
browsers.

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
;