lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV secure browser

From: BREDESEN
Subject: LYNX-DEV secure browser
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 10:21:10 -0400 (EDT)

A question from one of my users: does Lynx have or plan to have
a "secure" capability ?
     * a [7]secure browser that supports 128 bit encryption, no cache and
       Secure Socket Layer (SSL).
 (BTW, user _loves_ Lynx, does not want to change to Netscape ;-) )
I searched the User's Guide for "secure" and found nothing.
I searched CHANGES. for secure and found some stuff relating to cookies
 which appears not relevant.

The user is trying to access his account via link # 4 at
        http://www.vanguard.com/new/announce/NW19961210A.html";
and gets the following message:

  >    [1][Account Access]
  >   Please update your browser to access your accounts.
  >
  >    The current browser version you are using does not support our
  >    [2]security requirements. If you are using Netscape you must upgrade
  >    to the U.S. or Domestic grade with 128-bit encryption. Select the
  >    Netscape link below to upgrade your browser.
  >    If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer (pre 3.0 or beta version)
  >    or any other browser, please select and download one of the following
  >    browsers below.
  >
  >    [3][Netscape Domestic Browser] Select Navigator 3.01 or Navigator Gold
  >    3.01
  >
  >    [4][Microsoft Domestic Browser] Select Internet Explorer 3.01 -
  >    128-bit
  >
  >    Key Points to remember when obtaining the appropriate browser:
  >
  >      * Follow the instructions on the browser site page.
  >      * Select the appropriate operating system.
  >      * Complete all information requested on the browser site affidavit.
  >        You must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident to download these
  >        browsers.
  >      * Select the correct browser version (as stated above).
  >      * Once the browser install file is downloaded, run the program to
  >        install the browser.
  >
  >    Refer to our [5]Frequently Asked Questions for additional browser and
  >    security information.
  >
  >    Vanguard's Web Account Access -- your online account information
  >    service. This system allows you to [6]securely view current account
  >    information such as:
  >
  >      * Account Values
  >      * Recent Transactions
  >      * Fund Performance
  >      * Portfolio Allocation
  >
  >    Once you have met Vanguard's browser requirements you will need the
  >    following to register ...
  >
  >      * an active Vanguard account.
  >      * a [7]secure browser that supports 128 bit encryption, no cache and
  >        Secure Socket Layer (SSL).
  >      * Social Security number and a combination of Account Number, VOICE
  >        PIN and Plan Number, depending on the relationships you have with
  >        Vanguard.
  >
  >     [ [8]What's New | [9]Fund Prices | [10]Contact Vanguard | [11]Using
  >                          Our Site | [12]Home Page ]
  >
  >            © 1997 [13]Vanguard Marketing Corporation, Distributor

Susan
-----
Susan C. Bredesen, VMS System Manager  EMAIL: address@hidden
VOICE:  617-377-3713, FAX: 617-377-3160
USMAIL: Phillips Laboratory/GPSS,29 Randolph Road,Hanscom AFB,MA 01731-3010
;
;