lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV problem page

From: John
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problem page
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 00:19:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Laura Eaves wrote: ... in part ...

> Yesterday there were some problems with http://www.msnbc.com/

> Since this page changes every day, the same problems
> aren't there today, but i had downloaded yesterday's page
> and put it in http://www.intac.com/~leaves/msnbc.html

OK ... I have not made any comments in this group recently,
but I can't resist this one.  One of the main reasons to use
a good browser such as lynx is to avoid the neccesity to
'download' stuff aka try to emulate nut$srew and
MicroWhatever, so I don't unnerstand what the problem is
here.  Does msnbc have a bad page for text users? ... Sure
they do.  Are they aware of it?  Well sorta kinda, but the
mailto URL to report problems goes to the page designer so
of course they just think everything is peachy keen (now
that's probably not gonna help because I'm on a box named
'peach' right now ... whatever) where wuz we ... Oh yes ...
so they deny that they have a problem, but the solution is
NOT to try to fix lynx or make bugg fixes so that lnyx can
emulate others' bad code, nor to try to make lynx attempt to
read it, or to workaround it, but just be patient and let
them figure out how to put up text friendly pages if they
wish, and if not, don't visit them.  That's my 1895 cents
worth (plus tax) ... BYE

> (bad html).  Both parsers seem to null out link 4.

Yupper ... bad html ... so what else is new ?

> Also, links 2 and 3 are USEMAPS.  With the old parser,
> they come out [LINK]-[USEMAP], with the new parser they
> come out [USEMAP] as the preceeding anchor is closed.  (In
> this case, it looks like the new parser is right.)

Well ... that may have more to do with your attempt to 'fix'
it than with their code ... hmmmm ...

> Finally, this page, and other pages at this site, are
> sprinkled with ‘ and ’ strings.  Shouldn't these
> be translated into something else?  They come out
> literally in the rendered page.

Again, yes they have big problems with their html code, but
mayhaps just report it to them, rather than trying to make a
workaround for lynx because IMHO that ony makes things
worse, and screws up (your viewing of) other sites which are
correctly coded

That's it ... I'm done preaching ... BYE

John

;
;