lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV What's "realm"

From: Brian Tillman, x8425
Subject: LYNX-DEV What's "realm"
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 15:26:49 EDT

I've search the Web (using Lynx, of course) and I can't seem to find what the
concept of "realm" actually means.  I did find some handwaving in the Purveyor
documentation, and a theoretical discussion of some aspects of it in a "Session
Identification URI" document, but no explanation of what it really does, how to
control it and how to set it up in a proxy server.

The reason I ask is that the person who takes care of the proxy server is not
familiar enough yet to know what it's for and our proxy server is inserting a
prompt asking for the authentication in the region of the Lynx status line
devoted to displaying the realm.  I'd like to be able to tell the person how to
adjust the server to do the prompting correctly.
 Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
 Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
 4141 Eastern Ave., MS239        Addresses modified to prevent
 Grand Rapids, MI 49518-8727     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
        This opinion doesn't represent that of my company
;
;