lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV compiling the developmental version on HP

From: George L. Westlund
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV compiling the developmental version on HP
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 08:00:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:
> Ok, here's the situation.  Our main system just got upgraded from HP-UX
> 10.01 to 10.20 but gcc has not been updated yet, so I can't compile with
> gcc.  I've had no luck compiling with HP's purchased compiler either.
> I've tried the following:
>
> setenv CC cc
>       ALMOST works - configure determnes that 10.20 supports color, but
>       the build stops in LYCurses.c with complaints about COLOR_* (RED,
>       etc.) not defined.  I looked at /usr/include/curses.h, and they
>       are indeed defined, although wrapped in some ifdefs.
> setenv CC CC
>       HP's C++ macros - basically should compile ANSI C... barf!
> setenv CC 'cc -Aa'
>       set cc to ANSI mode - barf!
> setenv CC 'cc -Ae'
>       set cc to extended ANSI mode - same results as the first one:
>       ALMOST
>
> Any ideas on whether it is possible to compile with HP's compiler?  Should
> I try using the snake3 target instead of the generic target?
>
> Also, I remember someone posting a message about using color with HP-UX's
> 9.0x curses by just asking for color.  I tried that (using gcc) on another
> machine running 9.07, and got similar complaints in LYCurses.c as
> mentioned on the other machine (not as surprising in this case, though).
> I can't seem to ind the original message regarding this however.  Any
> ideas?

I was able to get it to compile with snake3, but it blows up in execution
(no matter where I point it).  I was told that it was related to a bug in
10.10, but 10.20 is different and I even tried after we had all of the
10.20 patches, no luck.

George L. Westlund                 || Internet:   address@hidden
Instructional Applications Support || UNIX System: address@hidden
Cal Poly                           || Phone/FAX:  (805)756-6543/(805)756-1536
San Luis Obispo, CA  93407         || URL=http://www.calpoly.edu/~gwestlu/

;
;