lynx-dev

privacy on unix [was: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update]

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: privacy on unix [was: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update]
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 09:49:15 +0900 (JST)

>       As far as "privacy" issues associated with the Unix /tmp
> design are concerned, even systems which now have the "sticky bit"
> feature typically don't use it.  I've yet to get on a Unix system
> in which I couldn't read any file in the /tmp tree, and there was
> no need for spoofing via links to do it. :) :)

This is disturbing.  Just to be sure, you are talking about systems
which have implemented neither the `sticky bit' nor subdirectories
with write permission only to the owner?  Since installing Screen,
I have followed that model in which a root-owned, 755 permission
subdirectory is made below /tmp, and in that subdirectory,
subdirectories are made for each user as owner with permission 700.
I haven't been able to do anything with ls, cp, mv, ln, even Lynx
dired, to get in, read, copy, etc. short of being root.  If there
is a way, would someone be kind enough to warn me.  TIA

__Henry
;
;