lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 13:59:36 -0600

I have just come back from vacation, and am almost a week behind, so if this
has been resolved, please ignore this.

Fote and Hiram were disucssing HP, curses, clearok(), CTRL-Z/fg, and
associated problems, and Hiram suggested:

> Should I try adding another condition to the VMS and SLANG
>(SNAKE, I guess) to LYKrefresh so that clearok(curscr, TRUE) gets set for
>HP?

What should probably be done is to remove the VMS and SLANG tests already in
the code, and replace them with BROKEN_CLEAROK or some such conditional, and
then set that conditional based on VMS or SLANG (and SNAKE if needed), then
get the autoconf guys to see if they can develop a reliable test for this
condition to automatically set that conditional.

This is a philosophy we "learned" several years ago on a project I was on.
You want to base your conditional on the problem, not the systems that exhibit
it. The next OS release for some system might change whether that system has
that problem, and then you look through four million lines of code for an
#IFDEF MYOS to see if it is in code dealing with your problem, rather than
just changing one occurance in one header file.

Scott

  Buttered bread always lands butter side  *   Would YOU mistake these as
  down (Unless it sticks to the ceiling!)  *   anyone`s opinions but my own?
          Email: address@hidden (Scott McGee)
          Web:   http://www.genealogy.org/~smcgee/homepage.html
;
;