lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx crashes on all terminals except the console

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx crashes on all terminals except the console
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 06:29:07 -0400 (EDT)

> Lynx successfully locates every remote host that I attempt as a starting
> point, downloads the entire HTML source, then crashes.  The error message
> that I get is as follows:
>       lynx: Start file could not be found or is not text/html or
> text/plain  Exiting...
>
> reference these two hostnames for the rest of this detail
> my localhost = dino
> remotehost = darkstar.cortland.edu
>
> I have compared my /etc/termcap entries with darkstar which does work
> properly - even copied that termcap to dino - and this does not seem to
your terminal settings aren't related to the ability to connect to a
page. (other people can better advise you on this point ;-)

> There is also another problem, which is simply a nuissance..  lynx run
> from darkstar displays links in boldface and the selected link in
> reverse-video; but when I copy this binary and the lynx.cfg to the same
> respective locations on dino and run it locally, all links are displayed
> in reverse-video... any idea on how to force it to display correctly once
> it's on my end?  Again, any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Lynx is either linked to the termcap library or to a terminfo-based library
(i.e., ncurses).  I'd do a quick check with 'strings' on lynx to see if the
latter is true (i.e., look for 'terminfo').  If the former (no 'terminfo'
found, but '/etc/termcap', then it has to be differences between the
two machines' /etc/termcap.

If the latter, one machine may have terminfo in the "old" /usr/lib/terminfo
location, while the application may be compiled to look for the new, in
/usr/share/terminfo, or vice versa.  If the ncurses library doesn't find
terminfo in the system area, its fallback is to construct $HOME/.terminfo
from the contents of your /etc/termcap, which often produces less than
desirable (trite) effects.  If that's the case, remote $HOME/.terminfo,
and make a symbolic link between old/new locations of terminfo (depending
on which is missing), and the application should run properly.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden