lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Download recovery for lynx?

From: John
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Download recovery for lynx?
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 21:52:25 +0100

Hynek Med wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, David Woolley wrote:
>
> > If the file is available by ftp (and it probably should be, but is
> > increasingly less likely to be) and you are using Unix, the de facto
> > position (its actually a protocol violation) is that the standard ftp
> > client will allow transfers to be restarted.  I've yet to find a Windows
> > ftp client that does this, so I think you should also complain as to
> > why you can't restart ftps in Windows.
>
> They say cuteftp can do it..

I *beleive* the ability to do this depends on

[1] the configuration of the server

[2] whether or not you have a fixed ip address.

If you have fixed ip then the server knows you have been there before,
it can look at the logsw and if smart enough, say 'hey your transfer was
incomplete, shall we begin from where we left off?'

If you have dynamic ip, then, to the server, you are a different
computer, so it resends from the start.

I think this is how it works, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

cheers
;
;