lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV bug or "feature"? :-)

From: John E. Davis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV bug or "feature"? :-)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 20:42:45 -0400

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 17:48:26 -0500 (CDT), Klaus Weide <address@hidden> said:
>I assume you are have compiled lynx with the Slang library.
>Slang opens "/dev/tty" (NOT /dev/tty1 or whatever the specific device file
>is) and reads user input from that new file descriptor (as long as Lynx
>remains in curses-on mode).  I expect you'll find the same behavior in
>other slang applications.

To be honest, about the only change that I would make would be to
change the hard-coded "/dev/tty" with the function call `ctermid'.
However, on both the SunOS and Linux systems that I use, ctermid
returns /dev/tty:

#include <stdio.h>
int main ()
{
   fprintf (stdout, "%s\n", ctermid (NULL));
   return 0;
}

Incidently, if SLang_TT_Read_FD is set to `fileno(stdin)' _before_
SLang_init_tty is called, then SLang_init_tty will not open /dev/tty
unless it determines that SLang_TT_Read_FD does not represent a
terminal.

--John
;
;