lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: lynx with chartran

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx with chartran
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:11:07 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

 Please use the <address@hidden> list address for questions about the
lynx code, I am CC'ing a copy to the list.  The archives are available at

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Nancy E. Worth wrote:

> Klaus
> I stepped in and inherited a version of lynx (2.7) that does French from
> Chebucto in Nova Scotia but with the security holes I wanted to upgrade.
> I've built your latest version with the chartrans code, but one major
> difference is that your code doesn't do french for the instructions on the
> commands - Have I missed a setup string/command or is this not a function
> available in your code?
> Nancy.
> --
> Nancy E. Worth                address@hidden
> Systems Administrator         416-216-5195
> UUNET Canada Inc.

No, French instructions and messages are unfortunately not available
in the code.  The (English) texts for messages which may appear on the
status line are collected in one source file, LYMessages_en.h, so that
they can be translated into other languages.  If somebody had offered
a replacement (for example LYMessages_fr.h), it would probably be
included in the development code.  hat would still not address the
questions of translated text in other places, and of runtime
configuration of the language.  (But note that for the purpose of
communicating a language preference to a HTTP server, the language
setting is available on the Options screen.)

I don't know whether the copy of lynx you have is part of the "CSuite"
Beta which is described at <URL:
http://chebucto.ns.ca/CSuite/index.html>, but that page contains an
address which should get you in touch with the people who added the
support for French.  [CC'd in this message] If you need the addded
language support, they may have an update for the security issues
available. (I would hope so).

Alternatively, if you have the source code of the language-enhanced
lynx (and you should, in accordance with the license for lynx), the
changes necessary to address the two security issues which have been
publicized recently may me straightforward.  For one of the issues,
configure lynx to use a LYNX_TEMP_SPACE owned by the user instead of
/tmp.  For the other, the minimal necessary change from Lynx 2.7.1
involved only replacing one source file (It may be slightly more
difficult for a modified Lynx 2.7 - ask back on lynx-dev if that is
what you want to do).  However this will still leave some issues
unaddressed and you will miss other recent improvements of the lynx
code.

Eventually the people from Chebucto should offer their additions to
the code to lynx-dev so that the language support could be integrated
into the "mainstream" version, and I expect that that is what they are
planning to do.

   Klaus

;
;