lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Options screen (was Re: new release?)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Options screen (was Re: new release?)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 18:37:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Bela Lubkin wrote:

> Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > > As for how to invoke the 2 parsers, I prefer a keystroke to a command
> > > line option so the user can switch back and forth between the different
> > > parsers.
> >
> > Currently there is no way to "switch" for lynx -dump.
> > The ^V key also isn't the best choice for an "official" key.
> > It is often set to be the stty lnext character, which seems to have
> > the effect that one has to press it *twice* on some systems, if lynx
> > is compile with (n)curses.  (Tom, is there anything to do about this?)
> > Also ^V may be a bit dangerously close to ^C  :)
> >
> > Other opinions?
>
> Yes: make it an options-screen setting.  It's going to invoke a page
> reload, so it's probably not the sort of thing you want to do by mistake
> or very often.  It *is* the sort of thing that you might develop a
> preference for, and want to stay your way from session to session.

If it stays in some form, it should (at least, also) be bound to a key
in my opinion.  If you view a suspicious page and want to see what the
other parser does with it, pressing the key will reload the page and lynx
tries to keep the position in the document.  It's much easier to notice
the differences that way.  (Unless you have a photographic or very good
visual memory.)

> Which leads to...
>
> > A general extension of the Options screen to more than one screenful
> > would probably be more useful.
>
> I thought someone had done this at one point, or at least a prototype --
> what ever happened to it?

I don't think so, or at least don't know about it.  Fote has been juggling
around with the Options screen to make the most of the linited space
(in addition to other changes, especially adding popup boxes), and the
devel code has his changes.

By the way, I find some of the key currently used on the Options
screen (in fotemods and devel) quite confusing, especially that '@'
means 'show cursor' there, when normally it is the 'Raw/CJK toggle',
and the 'Raw' setting on the Options screen is addressed by 'O'
instead.  While we don't have a fundamental redisign, how about
swapping those two, like in the following?

     Raw 8-bit or CJK mode (@)    : ON      show color (&)  : ON
     V)I keys: OFF    e(M)acs keys: OFF     sho(W) dot files: OFF
     popups for selec(T) fields   : ON      show curs(O)r   : ON

        Klaus

;
;