lynx-dev

[no subject]

From: RamNarayan S
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 19:21:59 +0500 (IST)

| Contents best read by a mail reader with its viewing  window |
| and wrap margins atleast 80 columns wide. (Text reader best) |

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, RamNarayan S wrote:

Hi,

Looks atlast the problem for the missing highlight on a active link could be
traced.

> >> Whenever I invoke lynx, I don't seem to get the reverse video indication
> >> on my active link.  I have to enable `show cursor' to see where I am.
> >
> >You should get the current link in reverse, but it is possible that
> >there is some mismatch between the terminal and the terminfo or
> >termcap entry for your terminal type.  Maybe you have to experiment
> >with various terminal types (like `lynx -term=...') to find the right
> >one.
>
> Nothing works. I recompiled v2.7.1 using the same environment and Bingo!!!,
> it works as usual. So, there is some change after 2.7.1 which caused my
> curses to go blind :-( I am not sure where.

The  problem  seems to be in the order in which  the  escape  sequences  are
called for  highlighting/underlining  in the file LYCurses.c.  It looks like
for my term, (an xterm and also a vt100), the  underline  attribute  must be
set before the reverse video attribute.  Otherwise the underlining attribute
obliterates the reverse video thus blanking out the  highlighting on a vt100
(Looks  like  vt100s'  can't  display   underlining)   and  just  displaying
underlining on the xterm.  Looks like they don't seem to coexist.

In the proc  "lynx_start_link_color"  in LYCurses.c the following  seemed to
cause the problem.

            if (flag) {
            /* makes some terminals work wrong because
             * they can't handle two attributes at the
             * same time
             */
            /* start_bold();  */
            start_reverse();
        #if defined(USE_SLANG)
            if (SLtt_Use_Ansi_Colors)
                start_underline ();
        #endif /* USE_SLANG */
        #if defined(FANCY_CURSES)
            start_underline ();
        #endif /* USE_SLANG */

If we move  the last  three  lines to  before  the call to  "start_reverse",
things are fine.

And on the other problem whose dump I had given, there was a typo.  That
segment has been corrected below.  This works fine in post 2.7.1 versions
(developmental).

>                            From: &#Name1 & Name2"

The above should be         From: &#034Name1 & Name2"    and not as above.

RamNarayan S
| <<< RamNarayan S >>> |  address@hidden  |    \ /    | HASTEN SLOWLY |