lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Temp file stuff (soon to be) revisited

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: LYNX-DEV Temp file stuff (soon to be) revisited
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 20:10:02 -0500

Apologies for the long silence with regards to the temp file stuff.

I finally got around to reading a significant backlog of lynx-dev
mail and noticed that Klaus was thinking about including it in the
next release if it was to ever exist.

I _have_ been thinking about it and as time presents itself next week
or the week after I'll see if I can put together a patch for a current
development release to incorporate:

        -- a "stempname" which accepts a file extension as an
           argument and atomically creates the proper temp file,
        -- mods to use new "stempname" correctly, and
        -- use of the public domain (really) trustfile() to check the
           temp space as well as individual files for safety.

The first would only do the atomic create business on UNIX and would
do the old stuff for other platforms (in order to get rid of the
business with changing the extension on the tempname() return value);
the last would be preprocessed out on non-UNIX platforms.

The general idea is to let people with capable systems to use /tmp for
their temp files rather than have to use /tmp/$USER or $HOME or somesuch.

Comments on the above would be appreciated.  If people think it's a good
idea I can also make and use an "stempfile" which returns an open file
pointer and could be made to work in a few places (by no means most IIRC).

--
Jonathan Sergent / address@hidden / address@hidden
;