lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.7.1: broken multilaguage bookmarks

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.7.1: broken multilaguage bookmarks
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 97 08:56:50 EDT

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997 19:38:21 -0500 (CDT),
Klaus Weide   <address@hidden> wrote:

>All this doesn't solve the problem for people who want to add bookmark
>entries in different charsets (which presumably means, pressing 'a' while
>different "display character set" settings are in effect), or the general
>problem of mixing character encodings in files.  That basically is a HTML
>"limitation", since a HTML document can only have one document character
>set and a file can have only one character encoding.  There are various
>things that could be done, but I don't like any of them much:

    Could someone use the multi-bookmark feature, with each bookmark
file starting from a different assumed charset?

>- We could invent some incompatible, nonstandard extension to label the
>  charset of a bookmark title (or generally, of anchor text) and use that
>  in bookmark files, something like
>  and give up the idea that boomark files should be (basically) valid
>  HTML files that can be understood by any competent HTML tool.
>  (There is a CHARSET attribute in the i18n RFC and the HTML 4.0 draft,
>  but it means something else.)

    Having the bookmark file as valid HTML is a very useful feature.
I feed lynx_bookmarks.html into Internet Explorer all the time; if you
are curious how something will work in the other browser, you just
bookmark it and go look.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden

;
;