lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Contents of <TITLE> tag at top of printed page

From: J. Kevin Ternes
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Contents of <TITLE> tag at top of printed page
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:03:20 +22324924 (EDT)

David Woolley wrote:

> > On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Kevin Ternes wrote:
> > >
> > > The security status of all docs here must be displayed not only on the
> > > screen but on each and every printed page.  So all HTML documents here
> > > have their status put in the <TITLE> and with Netscape this works out
> > > pretty well.  If we are to use Lynx in this environment, it must also
>
> I would class this as another abuse of logical markup to achieve a
> particular physical effect.  In a way it is even more extreme than
> the normal abuses in that you are really trying to implement a policy
> which requires a logical marking.  If it were done in HTML (/SGML)
> it should be done with some sort of <CLASSIFICATION> tag, however...
>
> I can't help but feel that someone is trying to get past a contractual
> requirement here, rather than doing things really securely.  In my
> view, if you are going to security label things, you must security
> label everything, unless only the words in the HTML are classified,
> e.g. no secret pictures.  The only satisfactory way of doing this is in
> the HTTP headers.

No.  The entire network is considered "secure" already, whatever
that means.  As for tags designating the classification status
of the document, that's for the content/authoring personnel to
come up with and believe me, neither they nor the security
people have a clue as to what HTML is.  They just push the HTML
button in WordPerfect.

There is no contractual requirment.
What's going on is this:  Security says, "All documents must
display their security status while on the screen at all times.
Printed documents must show their security status at the top
of each and every page."

This is reasonable.  With this policy the user's know whether or
not they should kick on their screen saver if someone uncleared
comes into their workspace.  Also, they always know if a print
can be posted on the bulletin board or if it must be shredded
after they are done with it.

The authoring people put the security status into the title tag
to meet this requirement with Navigator.

Now that Lynx has been made to behave the same way as Navigator
in this respect, then we can use it too.  If I had not been able
to do this (thanks again, Klaus Weide!), then Security would
have said "no" and users on character terminals would have
been out of luck.

-jkt

--
 J. Kevin Ternes