lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx and perl

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx and perl
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 13:41:34 -0700

> Is it feasible to embed a perl interpreter into Lynx and then let it
> interprete perl5-scripts in html-pages, enclosed in suitable script
> -tags?  Maybe a pipe to the standard perl interpreter would serve for
> the same purpose.  The safety risk is sure huge, anyways.

        I think there was a project (Penguin?) to provide some
        sort of "perl in a sandbox with digitally signed scripts"
        features for this sort of thing.

        I know there was a bunch of work done on "Safe-TCL" and
        I've read that the FSF is promoting an embeddable extension
        language called GUILE (based mostly on Lisp, naturally).

        I've promoted the notion of linking Lynx with TCL simply
        because it is designed to be an embedded language -- and
        because there is some groundwork on ctk (a curses implementation
        of Tk -- which is supposed to handle most of the "text" things
        in the Tk, like key bindings, drop-down and pop-up menus, text
        buttons, text edit widgets, radio and checkbox dialog elements
        and that sort of thing).

        However, I'm not enough of a programmer to attempt this -- and
        I've generated no interested in the idea from the developers
        here.  One of the developers is writing a "JavaScript" for
        text mode -- which will probably entail creating a interface
        between Lynx and external HTML renderers.  I have no idea
        how that will work.

--
Jim Dennis  (800) 938-4078              address@hidden
Proprietor, Starshine Technical Services:  http://www.starshine.org