lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV javascript-license

From: Barry Rountree
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV javascript-license
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 17:35:40 -0400 (EDT)

> > Isn't it against the license conditions of Javascript to include it in
> > GPLed software?

After now having spoken with an Actual Lawyer, here's what I'm told:

I need to find out if the JavaScript grammar is copyrighted.  IF the
copyright has been waived, we're free and clear.  If the copyright is in
effect, I need to get permission a) to use the grammar for my thesis and
b) to put the grammar into a general distribution of lynx (if that ever
happens).  If permission is granted, we're free and clear.  If permissions
are denied, then I drop $50 on a patent lawyer to talk about fair use &
other things that I don't want to think about at the moment.

However, it really shouldn't come down to that.  Netscape/Sun/Borland/M$
have a vested interest in spreading the standard as far and wide as
possible, which is why the grammar is now a European (and soon to be
worldwide) standard.  [Kudos to Klaus for the tip, see
<http://www.ecma.ch/stand/ecma-262.htm> for details].  While some
standards are proprietary (the X500 series was given as an example), I
would guess that standards that are made freely available on the web are
not.  Anyway, I'll send off a letter or two and find out for certain.

Finally, his [the lawyer's] opinion was that as soon as bison crunched the
grammar into a y.tab.c/y.tab.h file, the results were under GPL with no
difficulties.

More later when I know more,

Barry

;