lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX's Year 2000 Comliance

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX's Year 2000 Comliance
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:13:15 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:
>I've not made it thru all the code.  However, a cursory grep thru the
>lynx code shows use of the following time related functions - ctime(),
>mktime(), time().  I trust Fote and other recent developers to have
>code which is compliant.  I just wasn't sure if any of the remnants of
>libWWW from before lynx might have something of concern; perhaps dealing
>with http headers or some such thing.
>
>If folk are assured of lynx's compliancy, then at the very least it would
>be worthwhile to state that assurance in the README files and web sites
>advertising lynx.

        It also has an LYmktime() and a variety of other internal
functions for time manipulation, used for a variety of features
besides cookie expiration.  Assuming the external, system functions
are OK, all of the code (including that in the libwww-FM) was written,
since years ago (i.e., not just since Time and other magazines created
public alarm about an impending year 2000 calamity ), with due
consideration of the year 2000 issue.  There's one caveat:  If you do
an ftp directory listing exactly at midnight, it's date fields/sorts
will be incorrect.

        Hopefully, Lynx users will be kissing their sweethearts
Happy New Year! at that moment, instead of doing an ftp directory
listing. :)

                                Fote