lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV multiprocessing with Lynx

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV multiprocessing with Lynx
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 19:28:11 -0700

> Lynx has problems with Control-Z.
>
> A workaround I use is to background the other things I am doing
> and run Lynx in the foreground.  This gives you some relief
> if not full flexibility.
>
> There is at least one emacs junkie out there who described a
> session style where he starts a persistent emacs process, uses
> that as his personal editor in Lynx, and hence has his
> multiprocessing sesion accessible _under_ lynx instead of vice
> versa.  And can cut and paste between Web and mail.
>
> But if what you want to do is run big GETs in the background, you
> want to set up to use other-than-Lynx tools in those processes.
>
> -- Al Gilman

        Use 'screen'
        You can set interactive processes in one screen session and
        work in others.  You can even detach the whole screen session
        from your terminal, logout, and later reattach the screen
        session (with all it's windows still running as you left them)
        from that or any other terminal.

        Another nice feature of 'screen' is that you can configure it
        to "autodetach" -- which saves your interactive sessions
        from the occasional modem disconnect or some sorts of network
        hiccups (anything that sends it a SIGHUP).  A side effect of
        this is that you can "grab" your session from another terminal
        by doing a kill -HUP to the screen session you left running
        and then using 'screen -r'.

        'screen' also offers cut and paste, scrollback, log to disk,
        and a few other cool features  to your telnet, terminal, and
        text console sessions (even your xterm sessions).   (I
        sometimes use it to detach my emacs and other sessions from
        a Linux VC (virtual console -- text) and reattach it in
        X -- so I don't have to keep switching between one and the
        other to refer to the text of an e-mail and news message and
        the dialogs of "that GUI browser."

--
Jim Dennis  (800) 938-4078              address@hidden
Proprietor, Starshine Technical Services:  http://www.starshine.org