lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV LYNX: easier downloading suggestion:

From: David Combs
Subject: LYNX-DEV LYNX: easier downloading suggestion:
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 15:59:29 -0700 (PDT)

1) when using treelynx (-realm, etc), an option to
  use the site's own default file-name, instead of
  the long ...0000023.. content-free name.

  Of course, this should be allowed only if
  we are asking for only the FIRST LEVEL items
  of the subtree -- hopefully at that level all
  the names are different, no clashes.

  (When there IS a clash, then maybe "<default-name>.clash<num>"
   or something...)

2) Sometimes there are say 30 top-level links at a site,
   and you want only links 13-23, ie ten consecutive ones, say.

   Like when I today downloaded a free java book "thinking java" --
   there were some 15 pieces, each 200K acrobat pieces -- but
   there were some 20 or 30 OTHER links too, so I couldn't
   uses treelynx (or a top-level-only version of it),
   because I didn't want all the other junk that that page
   referred to.

   So, maybe something like instead of "d" for download,
   maybe "D" (upper case, if not already taken, say),
   followed by a list of link-NUMBERS, eg
       13-23 8 42
   the same way unix mail cmd allows its delete (or other)
   cmds to work.

---

Yeah, someone will suggest that I program it myself if I
  want it.  But I don't program in C -- use something called
  MainSail, which no one has ever likely heard of, and am
  just now getting ready to learn java (beats the hell out of
  C++, of which I have superficial reading knowledge only) --

  but I surely AM VERY INTERESTED in working withsome who
  knows the internals of lynx to write up some DOCUMENTATION
  for it that includes the new features of the last n years...

  quite happy to not take a 100% free ride from this list,
  but can contribute only what I can contribute.

  Thanks.

David Combs  address@hidden
;
;