lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV ac81 chartrans problems

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ac81 chartrans problems
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:42:13 -0400 (EDT)

Andrey, you are wrong when you say that russifiers that don't hook INT 16 are
bad. Cyr (of which I am the author) is the best russifier for DOS, and it does
not hook INT 16. Instead, it uses a vastly superior way to prevent the E0
problem. For every Cyrillic letter, Cyr's INT 09 handler puts XX 00 (where XX
is the GOST Alternative Cyrillic code) in the keystroke queue from the start,
and there is no need to change it at the INT 16 level. The INT 16 hooking
approach is more awkward and it doesn't work with programs that read the
keystroke queue directly. I'm not saying that reading the queue directly is a
good thing, but it's a fact of life that apps do that. In fact, all Microsoft's
DOS apps with GUI-like interfaces (pull-down menus and dialog boxes) including
MS Word, MS Works, QuickBasic, PWB, etc. do that. When writing Cyr, I tried all
possible solutions, both INT 09-based and INT 16-based, testing each on a very
wide range of apps, including MS Works, and my current approach is the only one
that flawlessly passes all tests.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
;