lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods chartrans & SSL

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods chartrans & SSL
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:39:01 +0900 (JST)

>       Note also that I don't plan to use the devel code, or whatever
> version that becomes, seriously myself, and thus will not be generating

Not my place to ask, but even after reading your reasons for this
decision, I still wonder why.  For selfish reasons (I only have time
these days to test one code set), I wish you would reconsider.

I put all my eggs in one basket (the devel code) in the first place
because you yourself said you no longer wanted to be the sole developer.
So the lynx-dev community worked out a "team developer" system.  I
believe it has been a VERY productive venture.  They are close now to
putting out a release.  I know there is some dissatisfaction with the
amount of time it has taken, but really it is a GIANT step, more like
three releases of those in the past (so not such a bad track record
for a first time effort).

                        -*- release 1
Lynx_w32 may be the future of Lynx.  With Microsoft's recent troubles
with the anti-trust boys, they may have to bundle Lynx in with Windows95.
If that were to happen, Lynx would be a SERIOUS competitor with MSIE.
It's my prediction that Un*x/VMS questions will slowly wane, and there
will be a flood of new questions about Lynx_w32 as it catches on.  People
still don't know about it is all.

                        -*- release 2
Autoconf doesn't mean much to you, but it means a LOT to us quasi-sysadmins
who can barely keep their head above water as is.  It's a real boon in terms
of saved time and trouble for us running wide-access Lynxes on Un*x machines.
It's also quite useful to the handful of people who rely on login accounts
for access to the Web.  Another side-effort of one developer extended color
support to almost all curses, not just slang (and the problematic style sheet
code).

                        -*- release 3
"chartrans".  Without it, Lynx would already have it's second foot in the
grave.

Lynx (devel code) has a lot going for it.  If the "godfather" seems to be
turning his back on it, that's going to discourage the new talent out there.

Something I thought I'd never be translating, but since it's been on
netnews for anyone to read, perhaps I should.  You know, Fote, you're
not overly popular here among many of the programmers who know of you.
They refer to you as "hone - kay" [ 本家 ].  That's a complement on the
surface, since it means you are the defacto head of the household.  But
from the point of view of a promising young upstart banging at the front
door it has a totally different nuance, perhaps hard to grasp unless
you've been raised in a society with very deep feudalistic roots.  So
what does the devel code become, "boon - kay" [ 分家 ]?  (May sound,
i.e., be pronounced, like `boon', but it will more likely spell the end.)

More than what it has become, the *way* Lynx (devel code) was produced
is an amazing achievement.  Somehow, someway, I wish you could find a way
to participate and support that effort.  Even if you can't join the team
there has to be a way.

I've been frank.  Let it be known that that's because I respect you highly,
not the other way around.

__Henry
;
;