lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Temporary file names

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Temporary file names
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 23:22:25 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Victor Schneider wrote:

> Since you haven't yet include my patch to HTTCP.c to make lynx.exe work with
> -D__CYGWIN32__, I suppose this suggestion may also face a delay, [...]

That patch was increasing a timout from 0.1 seconds to 10.1 seconds,
and you seemed to say that it was solving a problem for which you had
proposed a completely different solution (retry gethostbyname).  I don't
understand how these can be related, or what is actually the problem you
are trying to solve.

You also wrote "This is the bug that stops other than Linux/usleep versions of
lynx from connecting to hosts properly."  I don't know of any other
environment that needs the change you proposed (or it would probably
already be there).

Your increasing that timeout value would mean that a user trying to
interrupt a hanging connect with 'z' would have to wait up to 10 seconds.
Is this necessary?  (And do you understand why this seems to solve your
problem?  If so, please explain.)

If this is a workaround for problems in one specific version of cygwin, it
shouldn't depend just on __CYGWIN__, or installers in the future (when it
has been fixed) will be stuck with this behavior without good reason.
Especially if it isn't documented in any way.

    Klaus

;
;