lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV <br> in link text

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV <br> in link text
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 21:21:28 -0500 (EST)

971029 Laura Eaves wrote:
> I got several replies saying i rewrite my html
> however the html I was referring to was not mine....
>
> In any case, my point is that since lynx is the only browser
> with a "links are numbered" option, who's to say what the behavior
> should be for a break at the start of a link?
> Since one of the main purposes of numbered links is to aid blind users
> using screen readers, I think the link number should appear immediately
> before the first highlighted text, not on the previous line.
>
> Also note that when the <br> is changed to a <p>
> the link number is 2 lines before highlighted text.
> In my mind, this is clearly wrong.

surely Laura has made the rational point that there is no rule out there
which requires Lynx to put the link number where it does in these cases
& that there is a good & fairly obvious reason to always put it
right before the anchor text.  numbered links are very useful
for the darkness-challenged too: they're not something eccentric,
tho' i felt before that that may originally have been the official attitude.

another problem i encountered (again) yesterday is link numbers
which you can't access with the arrow keys:
ie they skip from [8] to [10], even tho' [9] is shown on the screen
& can be reached by entering  9 .
the site was  www.bankofengland.co.uk/  (who say they will correct it)
& the problem was caused by an unclosed anchor.
this has to be a bug in Lynx: it presumably closes the previous <A>
when it encounters the next <A> & assigns a number to the faulty one,
but doesn't register it wherever its arrow-key directions are stored.

i'm beginning to feel provoked to start investigating Lynx source myself,
no doubt not before time, as everyone will tell me ...

;