lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV what is the difference between "--with-cfg-file" and "--lib

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV what is the difference between "--with-cfg-file" and "--libdir"
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 13:04:30 +0900 (JST)

> You need both options because the original request was for the ability to
> put lynx.cfg in an unrelated directory (i.e., /etc).  Making it work is
> tedious (for lack of a better term) since the actual values for --libdir
> (and --prefix and --exec-prefix) have to be derived, since their evaluation

In makefile it says "## Where you want the lynx.cfg file installed" right
above the "libdir=" define.  Is "libdir=" used for anything else besides
the placement of the lynx.cfg file?  If not, it seems to me you are making
more work for yourself, since setting "libdir=" already works, i.e., it
places the lynx.cfg file there.  I define "libdir=" as ".usr/lib", but a
person could put "/etc" or anything else there; whether "an unrelated
directory" or not seems irrelevant.

Rather than create new logic for "--with-cfg-file", it would seem just
as easy to change the name of "libdir=" to "cfgdir=" if there's some
problem with using the present name, or just make a duplicate of "libdir="
if it is needed for something else.

For simplicity of INSTALLATION, I would prefer that "--with-cfg-file"
be avoided if it is not absolutely necessary.  As I see it now, all that
need be done is document the use of "libdir=" as the answer to the
"original request".

__Henry
;
;