lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV RE: LYNX: HUGE FTP BUG???

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV RE: LYNX: HUGE FTP BUG???
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 16:27:32 -0500 (EST)

David Combs <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From address@hidden Tue Nov 11 04:01:12 1997
>> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 06:32:42 -0500
>> From: address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487)
>>
>> Note that I just tried downloading solutions.zip both as a link
>> as requested and directly using
>>
>> lynx ftp://www.mindview.net/pub/eckel/solutions.zip
>>
>> and in both cases got the file just fine.
>>
>> I'm using (Lynx Version 2.7.1ac-0.91).
>> --
>> Larry W. Virden                 INET: address@hidden
>
>Well, sure didn't work for me.  Probably something
>stupid I am doing.  Any idea what it might be?

        Have you tried running it in trace mode, and looking at
the trace log?  Here's what it should show, which is the answer
to your questions about what Lynx is doing w.r.t. binary (a.k.a.,
image) versus text (a.k.a., ASCII) mode:

[...]
HTFTP: Logged in.
  Tx: SYST
    Rx: 215 UNIX Type: L8
HTFTP: Treating as Unix server.
HTFTP: Opened master socket number 368
HTFTP: This host is 192.190.14.2
HTFTP: bound to port 3224 on 192.190.14.2
TCP: Master socket(), bind() and listen() all OK
  Tx: PORT 192,190,14,2,12,152
    Rx: 200 PORT command successful.
HTFTP: Port defined.
HTParse: aName:ftp://www.mindview.net/pub/eckel/solutions.zip   relatedName:
1
HTParse: result:/pub/eckel/solutions.zip
HTFTP: UnEscaped /pub/eckel/solutions.zip
  Tx: TYPE I
      ^^^^^^
    Rx: 200 Type set to I.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Tx: RETR /pub/eckel/solutions.zip
    Rx: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            /pub/eckel/solutions.zip (11862 bytes).
TCP: Accepted new socket 384
HTParse: aName:ftp://www.mindview.net/pub/eckel/solutions.zip   relatedName:
1
HTParse: result:/pub/eckel/solutions.zip
Receiving FTP file.
[...]

>QUESTION: when using raw ftp, you must choose BINARY or
>ASCII mode.  Now, how does LYNX make that choice?
>By the extension on the file name?  Any way for
>me to OVERRIDE its choice?

        ftp URLs accept a type parameter with possible values of A, I, or D.
If you use:

        ftp://www.mindview.net/pub/eckel/solutions.zip;type=I

it would force image mode, but as you can see from the trace, it's using
that mode by default (based on the extension, which is mapped in HTInit.c,
if you do not remap it in a mime.types file  -- not in .lynxrc).  You could
use that for a VM/CMS mainframe if you wanted a text file as raw EBCDIC,
rather that as ASCII.   This is all explained in the online 'h'elp, and
has been for some time, including in the version you are using.

                                Fote