lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Looking for Java/Javascript Lynx

From: David Rovinsky
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Looking for Java/Javascript Lynx
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 20:27:53 -0500 (EST)

> The consensus (as far as I'm concerned) is that Java is much too
> GUI-oriented to implement directly into Lynx.  Perhaps it would be nice if
> Lynx would spawn an applet viewer, much like images and sound files are
> already handled.  OTOH, I've not seen an applet I can't live without.

> Ummm.... Could you give me an example of a Java Applet that you need to
> use that would work on a text-only terminal?

As a simple Lynx user (one who knows just enough about software to get
into trouble with a PC), I agree that most Java applets don't have that
much to see for someone who just wants to use text mode to access the WWW
to begin with.  However, I do have one comment to the second part of what
I've quoted above.  The question did ask for "Applets," so I may off base
from the start, but there is one Java-related textual item that I'd be
thrilled if Lynx could handle.

On the "Hotmail" system (http://www,hotmail.com) that I use when
travelling--and often access through public terminals running Lynx--a
number of the textual features make use of JavaScript.  For example, if
one wants to reply to an e-mail with the "reply" command instead of typing
the address, the system creates the reply form with JavaScript.
Similarly, to add or delete an address from the address book, a browser
with JavaScript is necessary.

So Hotmail does work with Lynx, but some features don't work.  While I
don't think support for Applets is that important for Lynx, limited
support for JavaScript--if feasible--could be helpful.

Regards,

David Rovinsky
Bloomsburg, PA
address@hidden