lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Line and corner characters in lynx boxes

From: jim spath
Subject: LYNX-DEV Line and corner characters in lynx boxes
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 08:42:43 -0500

Tom Dickey wrote:

> the release version does that, but the autoconf'd version looks to
> see if altchars is supported & uses that instead, since afaik the
> versions of curses that do that, do it reasonably well. (BSD curses,
> for example, doesn't support altchars).
>
> so he's describing 2.7.1 or before, or the current version with BSD
> curses, not the development version with ncurses.

Just to reword what Tom said a bit:

Lynx's box drawing behaviour is determined first at compile time, either
by configure deciding your curses has "alt" characters, or by you setting
the characters with BOXVERT and BOXHORI in userdefs.h.  The configure
test looks for the acs_map function to exist in your curses package.
If it does, alt_char_set is set true.

Once Lynx is compiled with the above feature, if your terminal doesn't
have "alt_char_set" capabilities, at runtime the fallback is to use
asterisks.  This capablity is "acsc" in terminfo.

--
Marvin the Paranoid Android.