lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx as interim step in doing a web page..

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx as interim step in doing a web page..
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 22:54:31 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what Matt Ackeret said:

>  In other words, instead of using Perl to be the "browser" I
> could use Lynx to do it (which would be easier since it'd
> handle the cookie stuff automagically) and then just parse the
> *output* with some Perl code?

>  This is probably a very very very bad idea (huge waste of
> resources), but for some reason it still seems kinda neat.  (I
> like brute force/Gilligan's Island style solutions sometimes..)
> But I won't actually use it unless someone says it's not as bad
> as writing custom Perl to do the same thing.

I am unclear on the form capability of Wget.  If that handles
the forms you need to deal with, you would probably prefer it
to Lynx in this role.

If that fails, I believe the conventional wisdom is get some of
the free Perl libraries such as from Roy Fielding at U of C
Irvine and write the little bit you need more yourself.

-- Al Gilman