lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV minor chartrans fixing before release proposed

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: LYNX-DEV minor chartrans fixing before release proposed
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:22:35 +0300 (MSK)

Here I write several user-visible suggestions before release,
all of them close to chartrans and very easy to fix.
So

   in O)ptions menu:

1) preferred_charset - does we really need it now?
It looks outdated and useless for Lynx.
lynx.rc:
# preferred_charset specifies the character set in MIME notation (e.g.,
# ISO-8859-2, ISO-8859-5) which Lynx will indicate you prefer in requests
# to http servers using an Accept-Charset header.  The value should NOT
# include ISO-8859-1 or US-ASCII, since those values are always assumed by
# default.  If a file in that character set is available, the server will
# send it.  Otherwise, the server will send the file in ISO-8859-1 or
# US-ASCII.

It seems Lynx should send a list of all supported charsets or none.
Nowadays Lynx is Unicode based internally,
it supports more than 30 charsets (and new can be easily added)
and if we set preferred_charset to one or several character sets
we limit the chartrans approximation capability, that is not good looking.
(Somebody may have lynx.rc from the previous Lynx releases
with "preferred_charset" set to one or two particular charsets.)
The only reason may be if we cannot guess a charset assumption
and ask for iso-latin-1.
Why not to ask server for language preferences instead?

2) Assume_charset (and Display_charset) have a multiple choice list:
let charsets would be ordered according languages, not platforms,
because user usually sure in language or country
but not in remote platform. (Already done for VMS by Fote.)

(Display_charset list may looks better ordered according platform,
but we really check it only ones...)

3) we forgot to describe "^Assume charset if unknown"
in  lynx_help/keystrokes/option-help.html  and  lynx_user_guide.html
Also @ and Row 8-bit may be pointed as the first approximation
for guessing assumed charset.

4) let do something with printing the text/html source "\" to local file,
at least add one more comment line in the beginning
with META charset string in the comment,
under the same conditions as we do with printing to email.

Fixing of incorrect META charset inside the printed document
may be postponed for future, but noted as a problem.
Further suggestions for the case of difference between
display and local charsets possible.

5) in "=" Information page, let show ``Charset: us-ascii'' if
current document 7bit-only
but current assumption differ from default iso-latin-1
(except the case document charset specified
and therefore should not be assumed).

Thanks for this long reading.

Leonid.